In the skull behind the ear mastoid cells, and these cells in the removal of air-filled cavities called surgery mastoidectomy surgery. Several different types of infection are available depending on the amount propagation procedure described mastoidectomy.
Ear infections are usually spread over the mastoid cells and Mastoidectomy surgeries are carried out to the buildup of inflammation. Mastoidectomy operation can be defined simply as a removal of mastoid air cells. Main purpose of this operation the prevention of the spread the inflammation surrounding vital tissues nearby (brain, facial nerve , like the veins of the neck).
Sometimes, mastoid surgery can be done for cochlear implant (inner ear prosthesis ) placing.
If only removal of cortical mastoid cells after the incision is made behind the ear, this mastoid surgery is called "cortical or simple mastoidectomy" operation.
If rear wall of the external auditory canal protected, this operation is called as "canal wall up mastoidectomy", if not protected this operation is called as "canal wall down mastoidectomy".
If some of the middle ear ossicles left and eardrum repaired this surgery is called a "modified radical mastoidectomy".
If middle ear ossicular structures and mastoid air cells removed (with the middle ear and mastoid cavity area become one common cavity) this operation called as "radical mastoidectomy".
Each mastoidectomy oepration can be modified for each patient middle ear condition.
Mastoidectomy Operation in Istanbul Video 1:
Mastoidectomy Operation in Istanbul Video 2:
- Mastoid bone disease (acute or chronic infection of the mastoid).
- A cochlear implant (bionic ear - inner ear prosthesis) in order to placing
- Tumors of the middle ear or nerve tumors (acoustic neuromas), meningiomas of the temporal bone paraganglioma (glomus tumors), removal of the lateral skull base tumors
- To repair the facial nerve
- Cerebrospinal fluid fistula (leakage of fluid surrounding the brain), then in order to repair
You can find video details at similar article >> Bad Smell Inflammatory Ear Discharge May Be a Symptom of "Cholesteatoma"!
- In the presence of medical conditions that cause prevent general anesthesia
- Diseased only hearing ear
- Poorly pneumatized mastoid (less weathered) to be sclerotic (may be more difficult to determine certain anatomical points (otic capsule, facial nerve) in patients becomes more complex surgery.
- Sigmoid sinus (just behind the ear, a large veins)'s settlement
- Low roof of the middle ear (tegmen tympani) make it difficult to have surgery
- To be applied to the previous ear surgery for chronic inflammation (thus the second surgery may difficult).
Postoperative Patient Care For Mastoidectomy Operation
|Postoperative Patient Care For Mastoidectomy Operation|
Photo source : The famous painter Vincent van Gogh 's "Self-Portrait Bandaged Ear" ( http://www.paintingall.com/vincent-van-gogh-self-portrait-with-bandaged-ear-and-pipe.html)
Mastoidectomy Definition - Mastoidectomy Technique - Mastoidectomy Indications - Mastoidectomy Contraindications - Postoperative Patient Care For Mastoidectomy Operation - Canal Wall Up Mastoidectomy - Canal Wall Down Mastoidectomy - Radical Mastoidectomy - Modified Radical Mastoidectomy - Simple Mastoidectomy - Cortical Mastoidectomy - Mastoidectomy Operation in Istanbul - Mastoidectomy Operation in Turkey
Once a week (for first 3 weeks) patient must be come to doctor office.
Especially in the first 5 days after surgery, the following should be noted:
- Do not lift anything heavy.
- Avoid the sudden body movements if middle ear ossicles prosthesis be placed.
- Avoid sneeze with your mouth closed if eardrum surgery be performed.
- Protect your ear from water
- In the first week, the incision behind the ear, antibacterial ointment can be applied on sutures.
After surgery is normal to see the following:
- The first 10 to 14 days is normal ear discharge mixed with blood . Within days of discharge will be reduced.
- Equilibrium or dizziness may occur within a few days after surgery.
There is no restriction of any diet. Solid, lint-free diet , constipation, may cause the patient's strain to ear drum movement. Soft , warm and high-fiber foods may be appropriate to take the first few days.
Pain medication may be taken in case of pain other than aspirin . Generally, post-operative pain is not over . In particular the use of antibiotics to prevent infections after surgery is recommended.
Appointment Phone: +90 212 561 00 52
Mobile phone: +90 533 6550199